LaCie 2big Quadra USB 3.0 2-Bay RAID Array Drive (Various)
- USB 3.0
- Speeds up to 210 MB/s
- PC/Mac compatibility
- Aluminum enclosure
- Uses Hot-Swappable drives
The LaCie 2big Quadra USB 3.0 2-Bay RAID Array Drive is a dual bay RAID enclosure that features 2x 2TB hard drives, running at 7200 rpm with a 32MB cache. The external enclosure also features USB 3.0/2.0 and FireWire 800/400 connectivity, giving you the flexibility and options to attach this unit to older PCs and Macs.
USB 3.0 offers an interface transfer rate of up to 5.0 Gbps, while the average (sustained) transfer rate is 210 MBps. The FireWire transfer rate is 800 Mbps max, and the average transfer 82 MBps. It supports RAID 0 (both disks are counted as one large drive) and RAID 1 (striping the data for redundancy and backup) and is preconfigured as RAID 0. The drives are user-serviceable and hot swappable, meaning that you can replace them at any time with fresh drives for more storage capacity.
There are also a number of features that give the LaCie 2big Quadra an added layer of protection. Besides the redundancy of data in Raid 1 mode, the unit also ships with professional backup software for timed and scheduled backups that include file-level and system-level restores. This gives you the option of performing a full system backup that would let you boot your Mac directly from the 2big Quadra. It's compatible with Time Machine and Windows 7 backup, and there's even a Kensington lock slot to prevent physical theft of the unit.
Another feature that ensures reliability in your data protection is the effective dual cooling system. An overheated drive can mean the difference between restore and failure, and LaCie has implemented a system that consists of three components - a solid aluminum heat sink, a thermo-regulated magnetic levitation fan, and numerous large venting holes for air dissipation. The fan controls speed based on the ambient temperature of the unit, so it's energy efficient and quiet since it is not spinning unnecessarily all hours of the day. You can also set the unit to deliver email alerts when a temperature or RAID level is approaching a critical status to help you plan ahead and avoid crashes.
- USB 3.0 Speed
- Now with USB 3.0 and UAS compatibility, the LaCie 2big Quadra has two 7200rpm professional hard disks preconfigured in RAID 0 that provide up to 210MB/s transfer speed on PCs or late-model Macs. The hardware RAID controller ensures sustained performance and prevents dropped frames. It's more than twice as fast as FireWire 800 and up to six times the speed of USB 2.0.
- Connectivity and Compatibility
- With its multiple interfaces, the LaCie 2big Quadra is compatible with almost any Mac or PC. With FireWire 800, import your data from your old computer even faster, if your old computer is compatible. You can even daisy chain older external storage devices or A/V peripherals in order to import data directly. Thanks to backwards compatibility with USB 2.0 and FireWire 400, you can connect the LaCie 2big Quadra to almost any standard computer of any era.
- Data Protection
- The LaCie 2big Quadra features RAID 1 and hot-swappable disks, so your data is kept safe even if a drive fails. Simply swap in a new disk without switching off the device. You also won't lose any data if, during a file transfer, someone trips over the interface or power cable. The LaCie 2big Quadra's cable management system keeps all cables safely connected to the enclosure. This product is also a complete workstation backup solution. It includes professional backup software that lets you perform file-level and even system-level backup and restore. So you can create a full system backup that lets you boot your Mac directly from the product. It's also Time Machine and Windows 7 Backup compatible. It even lets you prevent physical theft thanks to Kensington lock compatibility.
- Dual Cooling System
- LaCie's completely redesigned cooling system ensures long-term reliability by preventing overheating. The system consists of three key components: a heat-dissipating aluminum casing, a redesigned fan, and jumbo heat exhausts. For the enclosure, its solid-aluminum heat sink design provides 60% more surface area than flat designs, diverting and dissipating heat more efficiently. Its new magnetic levitation fan generates zero vibration or friction. It pulls heat away from the internal components while being 50% quieter than previous generations. The fan is also thermo-regulated, so it controls its speed according to the ambient temperature. This means it works more efficiently, prolonging its lifespan and generating less noise. The 2big Quadra has more and larger air holes to facilitate airflow and reduce noise.
- With its space-saving design, you can stand it alone vertically and reduce its footprint on your desktop, or neatly stack it with the LaCie d2 Desk Rack or standard 19" Rackmount Kit. Busy professionals can also set up email alerts, so they can monitor their device before potential problems escalate. They'll know, for example, that the ambient temperature in the room is too high before it causes problems. Even changing the RAID mode is convenient thanks to two-step Easy RAID configuration.
- Eco Mode
- The LaCie 2big Quadra also features an Eco mode that puts the hard disks to sleep after a period of inactivity. This prevents overheating and controls power usage.
You may also be interested in
LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt USB-C Portable Hard DriveAs low as $169.99