- Paypal Credit
The Grip Book; 5th edition
- Author: Michael G. Uva
- Paperback: 584
- Publisher: Focal Press: 20135
- ISBN: 9780415842372
In The Grip Book, Fifth Edition, seasoned Hollywood grip Michael G. Uva teaches you to install, set up, maintain, and ensure the safety of all equipment on a set, such as C-stands, cameras, and any specialty gear needed for a shoot. Guidelines for on-set etiquette and how to succeed as a technical crew member will jumpstart your career and make you a valuable asset on any film or television crew.
This newly enhanced edition marks the 25th anniversary of a Focal Press classic and has been updated to include:
- A 4-color insert covering greenscreen setup
- Technical expertise on maintaining the latest and greatest filmmaking equipment
- Engaging how-to videos on the companion website (www.focalpress.com/9780415842372) which demonstrate techniques described in the book
- A completely new test section with over one hundred questions and answers, allowing you to quiz yourself on the techniques and concepts you’ve just read
- Guidelines on what a grip has to be physically able to perform in their day-to-day duties
- A European-specific appendix that features a table of European grip terms and their American equivalents
Whether you are a professional grip looking to boost your skills or an aspiring one just beginning to learn the trade, the time-tested tips and techniques for smooth and safe operation on set make this new edition an indispensable reference guide.
Michael G. Uva is a well-respected key grip in Hollywood, with over 32 years of experience in film, TV, movies, and commercials. Credits include films such as Easy A, Kalifornia, and Iron Eagle, and shows such as The League, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and Bones. He has taught at UCLA’s extension program, the Phoenix, Denver, New Mexico, Cuyahoga College Cleveland, and Bakersfield Film Commissions, as well as for the Hollywood CPR Program at West Los Angeles College.
"The gold standard of motion picture technical manuals, this is the only 'must-have' reference book needed to keep on hand for all things pertaining to Grip work. The Grip Book, Fifth Edition is written in concise and entertaining prose by one of the film industry's legends".
- Michael Catanzarite, 25 year Key Grip, Bruce Almighty; Apocalypto; The Mentalist
As someone who has worked with Mike, I know the years of experience he shares in this impressive book. It is a must-read for anyone that steps onto a film set.
- Jack Messitt, Cameraman, Bones; Scandal; American Idol
- The Big Break
- Essential Equipment
- Basic Tool Descriptions
- Filters and Gels
- Techniques for Mounting the Camera
- Cables, Slings, and Hardware;
- Cranes, Jibs, Arms, Dollies, and Heads
- Cranes Mounted on Wheeled Bases
- Lenny Arms
- Precision Cadillac Track and Chapman Lencin
- Fluid and Remote Heads
- General Tricks of the Trade
- The Rental House
- Field Operation