Canon CINE-SERVO 17-120MM T2.95 PL Lens
- ENG-Style Zoom, Focus, and Iris Servos
- For Broadcast or Cinema Shooting Styles
- 180° Focus Ring with Knurled Grip
- Double Focus Markings in Feet and Meters
- Zoom Speed: 0.5 to 300 Seconds
- Angle of View Shift Suppression
- Detachable Drive Unit
- Electronic Lens Mount &12-Pin Connector
- 11-Blade Aperture Design
- Covers up to Super 35mm Sized Sensors
The Canon Cine-Servo 17-120mm T2.95 PL Lens is designed to combine the functionality and form factor of a broadcast, ENG-style motorized zoom lens with the optical precision of a cinema zoom. The lens is designed for use on cinema cameras with sensors up to Super 35mm (26.2 x 13.8mm) in size and is suitable for 4K acquisition. With a detachable drive mechanism and support for rod attachment, it is designed to be equally at home whether being used by a solo camera operator or a full production team. With a 17 to 120mm focal length, the lens features 7x zoom and has a maximum aperture of T 2.95 when set to 91mm or wider.
Additionally, the Canon Cine-Servo 17-120mm T2.95 PL Lens features an 11 blade iris to create circular bokeh patterns as well as to reduce refraction. For ENG-style shooters the lens drive features servo motors powering zoom, focus, and iris. The lens can be connected to the camera either using a standard 12-pin connector or will communicate directly through the lens mount when attached to compatible cameras. Three 20-pin connectors below the servo housing allow many Canon and third-party zoom, focus, and iris controllers to be connected.
The CN7x17KAS S features the form factor and control layout of typical ENG lenses, and is designed to be friendly for a single camera operator to control while using the camera shoulder mounted. The zoom servo is controlled by rocker with the right hand and focus and iris can be operated manually with the left hand
The lens is compatible with many 20-pin zoom and focus controllers, allowing the lens to be operated comfortably in a studio tripod or pedestal configuration or remotely, say while mounted on a jib or crane. Compatible controllers include the Canon FPD-400D focus control and the Canon ZSD-300D zoom control
The Canon CINE-SERVO 17-120mm T2.97 Lens is compatible with a wide array of accessories common in the cine industry, including matte boxes, follow focuses, and electronic and wireless controllers. The focus ring features both a 0.8mm pitch cine standard gear ring as well as a 0.5mm Canon pitch ring, the zoom feature a 0.5mm Canon pitch, and there is also a 0.4mm pitch iris gear.
- In addition to fluorite, the use of ultra-low dispersion (UD) glass helps reduce the chromatic aberration that is a normal part of glass lenses. Additionally Hi-UD offers high refraction in addition to low dispersion to help combat spherical as well as chromatic aberration, including the aberration fluctuation normally caused by zooming.
- Because glass lenses can never be totally free from chromatic aberration Canon applies a special coating, fluorite, which has an anomalous dispersion characteristic effectively reducing the aberration below what is possible with glass alone.
- Since spherical lenses refract more in the periphery than the center it is essentially impossible for an image to be sharp across the entire frame. Aspherical lenses, on the other hand, are able to maintain much more even focusing across the image area for more uniform focusing. In addition, it means less elements are required in the lens design helping make it not only sharper, but reducing the size and weight as well